My blog is so awfully neglected, but I made it a goal today to make a come back and post another macaron recipe! I’m a lot better at posting my pics on Instagram. So if you miss me you can follow me there. 🙂
If you love to bake, it’s best if you own a food scale. I own this one that was purchased at Target:
- 100 Grams Egg Whites (3 egg whites)
- 50 Grams White Sugar (1/4 cup)
- 200 Grams Confectioner’s Sugar (1 and 2/3 cups)
- 110 Grams Ground Almond Flour (1 cup)
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Beat egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until whites are foamy; beat in white sugar and continue beating until egg whites are glossy, fluffy, and hold soft peaks. Sift confectioners’ sugar and ground almonds in a separate bowl and quickly fold the almond mixture into the egg whites, about 30 strokes.
- Spoon a small amount of batter into a plastic bag with a small corner cut off and pipe a test disk of batter, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, onto prepared baking sheet. If the disk of batter holds a peak instead of flattening immediately, gently fold the batter a few more times and retest.
- When batter is mixed enough to flatten immediately into an even disk, spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a plain round tip. Pipe the batter onto the baking sheet in rounds, leaving space between the disks. Let the piped cookies stand out at room temperature until they form a hard skin on top, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 285 degrees F (140 degrees C).
- Bake cookies until set but not browned, about 10 minutes; let cookies cool completely before filling.
It’s best if you can weigh out your ingredients for exact measurements every time. If you’re using a dark non-stick cookie sheet it takes 10 minutes. Also, reynolds non-stick wrap works really well, they pretty much slide off when they’re done. If you’re using a professional heavy duty baking sheet and silicone mat it takes 17 minutes to finish baking. I am also using a gas oven, depending on what kind of oven you’re baking in times may also vary.